Sand Castle: Chapter 12

December 2013

Tom is the only person in the whole world who supports my decision to move to New York. When I told him about my plans for the next academic year, he wrote to me the same day, and he said: "You made a smart choice Nina! New York is the world's capital! With your talent, you'll take New York, and when you succeed in New York, you'll have the whole world at your feet!"

Tom understands that at the beginning, it will be difficult for me to adapt to the huge city. Because he is the only person I know in New York, he promised me that he would always be there for me. Tom also promised me he'd introduce me to his siblings and to all his friends, show me the entire city and his favourite places, and he promised me he'd find me an apartment to live close to him. Unfortunately, I'll have to live on the college campus because I can't afford to share an apartment with roommates. It's too expensive for me.

As I expected, two months ago, I passed my TOEFL, and now I'm practicing every day, four to five hours, for my audition. I'm full of hope, and I'm smiling again. My parents haven't seen me this happy for a long time. If they know that I'm selling the grandparents' property to go to New York, they will immediately wipe off the smile from my face. The real estate agent has assured me they will sell the house and the vineyard for an excellent price, but my parents are convinced I'll never find the money for college tuition, and that makes them utterly happy. Tonight we all were smiling, and we were happy, which means we'll have a peaceful Christmas Eve.

For dinner, we had a chicken. Both my mother's attempts to cook a turkey failed and the poor animals ended in the garbage. But who am I to complain about my mother's cooking when I don't know how to boil an egg? My biggest culinary "skill" is the fact that I know where the kitchen in our house is.

"Why are you smiling the entire evening, Nina?" my father asked me suspiciously.

"Nothing, I'm smiling for no particular reason."

"Are you mocking at your mother's cooking?"

"No, no, I'm not!"

"Do you think the cooking is easy?" my mother asked me angrily.

"No, it's not. Cooking is a very useful skill, and I wish to learn to cook one day," I said, and I meant it, but my parents looked at me with disbelief.

I'm imagining that if one beautiful day Tom and I live in New York together, he, a not so successful musician, and I, an unemployed actress for the rest of my life, without any knowledge or skills to do something else but act, we'll be very poor. We won't have money to eat in fancy restaurants, or at any restaurant at all. That's why I was serious when I told my parents that I would like to learn to cook. Cooking can be a very useful skill for two poor people like Tom and me.

I will always love him, no matter what. I don't care if he is rich or poor, if he is healthy or sick, if he is handsome or if he has scars across his face, if he is famous or not, he will always be my Tom.

"The chicken was very delicious, mum!" I said, laughing.

"Will you finally tell us what is so funny?" my father asked me.

"Nothing, I'm just happy. If I'm happy, that is not all right. If I'm sad, that is also not all right for you. I don't know what do you want from me?"

"We want to see you happy, but we're trying to understand what is the reason for your happiness," my father explained it to me nicely.

"I'm thinking how next year I'll be in New York for Christmas, and that makes me happy."

What I wanted to say was how one young, wonderful New Yorker made me truly happy with his email today, and all the things he promised me.

"Will you ever get out of your head that silly idea?" my father raised his voice.

"Enough! Both of you! It's Christmas Eve, and we won't fight!" my mother tried to save the evening.

"I agree," I said, and I got up from my chair. "That's why I'll go to my room to practice for my audition, and I'll leave you two alone to enjoy the rest of the evening."

"You'll practice on a Christmas Eve?" my mother asked me with astonishment.

"A lot of people are working for the holidays, like doctors, journalists, taxi drivers, musicians, waiters..."

"I wouldn't mind at all if you go to study for your exams, for the college you're currently attending," my father added.

"Hey, Nina, I almost forgot! Look what we have bought you," my mother said, and she gave me a little box.

I opened the box, and in the box were beautiful earrings. These earrings must have cost a fortune. It would be better if my parents gave me the money they have spent on buying these earrings and helped me with my college tuition. Lately, they've been buying me a lot of presents as they're trying to bribe me to give up on my idea of going to New York. They may buy me the whole world, but if Tom is not in it, the world will be a very sad and unbearable place for living.

I liked the earrings, but the best present for me this Christmas came from Tom. Besides his support, he also sent me a video of him playing Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on his piano in his parents' apartment. He knows that I love classical music, but he never told me before that he is a classically trained pianist. He is always full of pleasant surprises.

It was quite late, and I couldn't sleep. Midnight has passed a long time ago. I couldn't stop watching Tom's video, and I couldn't stop thinking about him. I was wondering how he was spending Christmas Eve. I hope he's having a perfect Christmas, like in the movies. I could imagine him with his family, singing songs, eating turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, apple pie…

In front of me is a year full of challenges. I'm frightened of what the future will bring, but at the same time, I am full of hope. I hope next Christmas I'll be in New York, and when Tom sees how much I love him, he'll make a room for me in his heart.

He is all I want, and if I have him, it would be very ungrateful of me to ask for something else. If I have him, I don't need anything else. My wish is too big, because what can be more difficult than winning someone's heart? But I don't know how we can fight to win someone's heart and love. The hearts should be given voluntarily, just as I gave my heart to him without a fight or any effort. My future is in Tom's hands, and he can make my ordinary life extraordinary. It's all up to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forever: Chapter 6

Forever: Chapter 7

Forever: Chapter 8